Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 2 Vegetarian Challenge

Today was a busy day with Mommy and Me classes, a cranky pants Willowbum who has been fighting off the sniffles for the past 3 days, snow and me dealing with lack of sleep.  What better day than today to bust out the slow cooker?  I don't know how many of you have one but the slow cooker is a working mom's BFF in my books and I'm not even working! lol. 

While Miss Cranky Pants was taking her 20 minute power nap, (Yes she only sleeps for 20 minutes during the day...woah is me) I set to work chopping all the vegtables needed for tonight's meal.  On the menu tonight was Vegetable Pasta Sauce served with Whole Wheat Pasta.  As I heard the yells of "I'm awake get me know!" coming from Willow's room dinner was pretty much made and I could relax knowing Hubby would get a great meal that really required little effort on my part. 

Ingredients for tonight's meal minus the pasta

Recipe:
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can whole tomatoes, undrained
11/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow squash cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 can tomato paste
4 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon black pepper

Hot cooked pasta
Parmesan cheese and fresh basil for garnishing (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients excpt pasta and garnishes in slow cooker, stirring thoroughly to combine.  Cover; cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
2. Serve over cooked pasta.  Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired. 

The finished meal.
 All in all I'd give tonight's meal a 3.75 out of 5.  It was a little more watery than I l normally have my pasta sauce so maybe if you like your sauce thick strain on can of tomatos.  Other than that the flavour was perfect.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment