Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 4 Vegetarian Challenge

Yesterday was another slow cooker sessions as it seems the winter flu has hit this house.  Partly why this post is being done today as opposed to last night.  Sorry to all my loyal fans.

On the menu was Scalloped Potatoes and Parsnips and while it was a yummy home cooked winter themed meal I think the next time I do it I will omit the Parsnips.  They have a sweetness that I didn't quite like in this dish. (Though I do like Parsnips on their own mind you... just didn't like them with my potatos.)

Recipe:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons dry mustard
11/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 baking potatoes, cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch lices crosswise
2 parsnips, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 onion, chopped
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add flour and shisk constantly 3 to 5 minutes.  Slowly shisk in cream, mustard, salt, thyme and pepper.  Stir until smooth.

2. Place potatoes, parsnips and onion into slow cooker. Add cream sauce. Cover; cook on LOW 7 hours or on HIGH 3.5 hours or until potatoes are tender.

3. Stir in cheese. Cover until cheese melts.


Sloppy goodness on a plate!


No comments:

Post a Comment